The year was August 1950. A burden for Casper brought Dr. Ed Nelson of Denver to conduct several old fashioned tent meetings in North Casper. From the Carlson family home to the North Casper Women’s Clubhouse, a small nucleus of people remained faithful in worshiping. The need grew for an established church home. Through a generous donation of two lots on the edge of town, prayer was answered.
Dr. John Weidenaar arrived in May of 1951 as the first pastor of Calvary Baptist Church. Groundbreaking commenced on South Jackson Street in June. With the building completed, the opening services were held on Easter of 1952. Spiritual and numerical growth continued with a body of believers who indeed were the church. In prayer, new property was sought and our faithful God provided opened doors to allow His flock to engage in another building opportunity.
An excited Calvary Baptist gathered for another grounbreaking in November of 1972. Once again, Easter Sunday of 1974 seemed fitting for the first service. Dr. Ed Nelson and Dr. John Weidenaar were invited as guest speakers on October 19, 1975, for the official dedication. The was appropriately held on the Church’s 25th Anniversary. To date, we are a flourishing church. With Jesus as our Shepherd, we have a heart to see souls saved. Our desire is to humbly serve with our eyes turned to Jesus.
Calvary Baptist has had nine pastors over the course of many years, each presenting God’s Word while encouraging service to Jesus Christ. Currently, Pastor Jeff Matney has been with Calvary since January 1994, coming on staff as youth pastor. Ordained in 1999, he took the call to pastor the church. Together we continue to glorify He who is worthy of our praise!